Friday, June 15, 2007

Watched some movies today.

Rented and watched a couple of movies today:

This film was one of them most artistically beautiful things I have ever seen. Words fail me. The acting was decent enough. The storyline and plot were just the kind of post-modern/new age fare that I find so interesting. All in all, quite an enjoyable experience, thought provoking in a spiritual way.
8 out of 10 Stars.

It's got to be hard to follow "The Passion of the Christ". So Mr. Gibson threw something completely different at us: a tale of conquest and survival in an ancient Mayan civilization. NOT different from "The Passion" is the use of the original language with subtitles. Also similar to his masterpiece is the intense, savagely graphic violence. Just as unrelenting, albeit in a different manner.
Gibson took a lot of heat from reviewers of this film who wanted to peg him as nothing more than a purveyor of ultra-violence. "Apocolypto" received it's fair share of negative reviews.
I personally think those reviewers were a little hard on Mel AND this movie. A lot of 'em were probably less than enamored of "The Passions"'s subject matter and decided he was due for some flack.
I very much enjoyed "Apocolypto". It was a rivetting, rich and well-crafted film, with excellent acting, incredible cinematography and, of course, brilliant direction.
Definately not for the squeamish, but as far as I'm concerned it rates...
9 out of 10 Stars.


While I'm at it, I have totally re-hauled my MySpace profile to include a nifty background and (even more exciting) a music player loaded with songs by Sigur Ros, Mark Kozelek, Sun Kil Moon & Red House Painters. Swing on by...if nothing else you'll get to hear some damned good music!

No comments:

Post a Comment