Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sigur Ros featured at Artists In Residence


I'm not sure if the Artists In Residence website will always be focused on Sigur Ros' music, but since it is now I feel bound to reccomend it and to say that it is one of the most well-crafted, entertaining sites I have ever had the pleasure of navigating.
You can listen to Sigur Ros' albums on a "virtual turntable", on "vinyl" and complete with the crackle and pop that made the LPs of yesteryear seem so personal, a record of every time we dropped the stylus on the black circle (even though we hated it at the time). And, my God, their music is so beautiful, so ethereal, so angelic. I saw a comment on one of their YouTube videos that said "their music pulls at every fibre of my soul". I don't think I could describe it any better than that. Every single fibre.
And if you haven't seen their videos yet, know that you are missing what I think of as the salvation of an outdated and useless medium, the music video. I'm quite serious, as I hope you'll agree if/when you click on the Sigur Ros Videos section to the right on this page (just beneath the "About Me" section).
If I sound like I'm gushing here, a teenage girl first discovering the Beatles in 1964, it is only because these guys are making music that is like nothing else ever heard before. It is exciting, vibrant music. The sounds they make are other-worldly. Their best songs build to such a powerful climax that it takes your breath away.
Maybe it's not for everyone. I'm sure it's not. But those who connect with this band and their art have found a spiritually enriching musical experience. Regardless of the reaction it might elicit from those who may or may not connect with it, it is something to be shared.
Even if it is something many of us consider almost sacred, it should be shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment