Thursday, June 14, 2007

New phase of life with complimentary peace of mind.

Just a couple of quick things...

On Tuesday, June 12, 2007, I won my Social Security Disability appeal.
I don't think I have mentioned here (or maybe I have) but I suffer from Bipolar Disorder, recently upgraded to a dual diagnosis of Bipolar/Schizoaffective disorder. As the medical expert who testified in the case put it, I have "struggled" with this condition for over 25 years...and that's exactly how it feels, like I've been fighting it all this time, trying to keep jobs but leaving them soon because I couldn't handle stress like most people can. I knew it was because of my mental health but I never wanted to accept that. Lots of other crap besides jobs were affected, but I don't want to go into that now. Suffice to say that the disability benefits I soon will be receiving are going to give me some peace of mind that I haven't had in a long, long time.
I imagine I'll do a lot of writing, hopefully not all of it will be on this blog. I do have a written journal that I keep...maybe I'll be more consistent in writing in that. Most of all I wanted to find a way to concentrate my efforts and perhaps write a novel. I read excellent books by Dave Eggers and John Irving and I get this overpowering feeling that I would like nothing more than to be able to write as well as these guys. Or to even have the tenacity to actually COMPLETE a novel, whether it turns out to be good or not. I don't find it easy to learn new things these days, but to further these lofty ambitions I am planning on using a computer program to learn keyboarding skills (of which I have absolutely none) . Maybe it's silly, but I'm gonna use my son's "Spongebob Squarepants Typing" program. I'm not exactly a big Spongebob fan, but hopefully it will meet me at the extremely low level I am at and push me forward until I need a more "grown-up" program.

Anyhoo, 15 words per minute or 50 words per minute, I guess it doesn't matter if I don't have anything to say.
Hopefully now that I've got time to say something I will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment