Monday, April 4, 2005

XM 'Bonuses' Kick In

Well, the "bonuses" XM subscribers were offered with the $3 rate increase kicked in on April 2. Now those of us who didn't think the Opie & Anthony show sounded like it was worth paying extra for can find out. And I kinda feel sorry for those XM listeners who don't have a computer, because they wont be able to enjoy the XM Online that was the only other bonus we got for the extra 3 bucks. Those poor folks (as well as those who are still on dial-up) are basically paying $3.00 for something they didn't feel was worth $1.99 when it was a Premium option.
Doesn't seem fair, ifn' you ask me.
But alas, my wife and I recently made the upgrade to DSL and so I can enjoy the Online service and the two "Online Exclusives" that, IMO, are worth logging in for...I think I've already mentioned in a previous post that if I'm gonna listen to XM it's gonna be through my hi-fi, not the cheesy computer speakers we've got. Still, there are 2 channels (EnLighten and Special X) that may just give those chincy little Realistic computer speakers a work out.
EnLighten is a channel devoted exclusively to Southern Gospel music. I really wish this were available as a regular XM channel, as I find that I enjoy this style of music more and more as time goes by. There's an earnestness and sincerity to these songs that is sadly missing in a lot of contemporary Christian music these days.
Special X is described by XM as "Just Plain Weirdness". That's a fairly accurate description of the music they play, though it doesn't quite meet the "bizarre criteria" of, say, The Dr. Demento Show. At the moment Tom Waits' "Step Right Up" is playing, and I suppose most folks would call that "weird"...those of us who have already developed a taste for Waits don't really think of it as such. It's just the Tom Waits we know and love, weird or not.
I dunno, Special X is kind of a clearing house for the slightly oddball and the campy and/or kitsch elements spanning the myriad varieties of music in the vast XM library. There's nothing inherently "weird" about "Bi Mir Bist Bouchene" (sp?) by Steve Lawrence & Edie Gorme, which they just played, and even the "camp" elements could be disputed by people who enjoy that style...but then they follow that up with "Honky Tonk Hermaphrodite" by the "Reverend" Billy C. Wirtz, and there can't be too many out there who wouldn't consider this song "weird" ("Doggone, I just chipped a nail and I'm all out of Red Man").
So maybe I will check in with XM Online now and again. I've already got my presets entered, so that's some form of commitment, right?
As for Opie and Anthony on the High Voltage channel...I haven't even bothered to check it out yet. From what I know about it, it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, but I won't rule out the possibility that it could surprise me and actually be entertaining...the odds are against it, though, as I generally cannot stand to listen to DJs spouting off their version of humour and their even less significant opinions. But I'll be sure and post when I finally get around to it and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment