Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A Cobra Amongst Us!



As a member of an internet community comprised of people who used to post on the now defunct Rolling Stone.com message boards, I have had the opportunity to converse with and get to know some very interesting people.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to one of them...the enigmatic genius who goes by the name "Meursault".
Perhaps a clue to his personality can be gleaned from the knowledge that he took the name of the main character from Albert Camus' The Stranger as his community username. Those of us who have had the opportunity to read the thoughts he shares in his posts can attest to his being a sincere seeker on a quest for spiritual enlightenment...
But only today, when he posted the above photo, were we allowed to see the side of his psyche that reveals his true nature...
Now we know, and the knowledge is somehow both comforting and yet terrifying.
Meursault is a COBRA!
Never, in a million years, would I personally have suspected that Meursault had been initiated into that most illustrious sect, the Cobras. Not that I didn't think he had what it took to hang with that rough-and-tumble lot, but he just seemed too...I dunno...innocent, maybe, to even know what the Cobras stood for. More fool me. Can't judge a book by it's cover, that's the lesson I'll not soon forget after recovering from the shock that hit me when I first saw him clad in his Cobra attire.
Call it a fit of jealousy on my part, I suppose, this overblown reaction I'm having to Meursault's newfound status as a member of the Cobras. After all, I have wanted to be a Cobra ever since the first time I saw a regiment of them protesting out front of the CD Warehouse I once was employed at. I had the nerve to ask one what they were so mad about and he told me that they were upset because they'd heard that the owner had refused to give a job back to the best employee he'd ever had, and even though they didn't know the particulars of the situation, they were more than glad to be able to exercise their freedom of assembly to protest the principle of the matter.
I didn't even have the heart to tell him that I was that ex-employee...that I had been the one to offer my services once again to the musically illiterate owner and that I was the one who had been so cold-heartedly snubbed. I like to think that the reason I withheld that information from that Cobra was because I didn't even WANT to go back to work there, since the current batch of bozos who run the place had let it turn into such a big dump that I doubted even I could have fixed up. But the REAL reason I kept my silence was because of a strange mixture of intimidation and respect that I harbored for these Cobras. "Let 'em protest", I figured, "Maybe they'll teach those numbskulls a lesson!"
And now I find that my old internet buddy Meursault is hooked up with 'em.
Hats off to ya, Meursault.
You are da man.

BTW, Meursault DID give me permission to post this photo, but he wanted me to let it be known that the Chicago poster in the background belongs to his roommate. I don't think he's much of a fan of that band. However, he says, the T Rex poster beside it DOES belong to him.
Would have expected no less from a Cobra.

No comments:

Post a Comment