Sunday, April 17, 2005

Joy Division Obsession Remembered


Ian Curtis of JOY DIVISION

There was a time in the very early 80's when I listened to the music of Joy Division obsessively. I'd read a review in Creem magazine of their album Still, which was released about a year after frontman Ian Curtis had hanged himself, and the review had piqued my interest, to say the least. It spoke of the music as being haunted, psychotic glimpses into the mind of a man on the edge of life, threatening to jump...or at least, that's how I remember it...'s been over 20 years, but that was the gist of the over-all positive review.

I immediately went to Shadowplay Records in Norman, the only record store in the state that I knew would be cool enough to have a copy in stock, and laid down about 30 bucks for the import 2 record set (which came with a neat little Joy Division stick-pin button). At the time my depression periodically manifested itself in an extreme interest in dead rock stars and I had to hear these messages from beyond from a guy who looked the grim reaper straight in the eyes and said, "I won't wait, let's get outta here NOW!"

A bit strange, I admit, but that's who I was after I had tasted freedom immediately after graduating high school, trying to figure out what I would do with my life. It was a difficult period, fighting back the demons inside that hoped to convince me that I was wasting my time.

I listened to anything and everything I could find by Joy Division. For a time their music was practically all I would listen to.

I still have the Heart and Soul box set (which includes remastered versions of both classic JD albums, Unknown PLeasures and Still, along with much more), a few rarities discs, and a copy of Still on CD, but truth be told I rarely listen to them anymore. I still acknowledge that they are essential recordings of the post-punk era and they have lost none of their power. But hearing those songs now takes me back to a time in my life that I'm not fond of remembering, for various reasons..not all bad.

Anyhoo, I only bring it up because I'd found the swell photo of Ian Curtis above that I don't recall having seen before and I wanted to share a link to a Guardian interview with his ex-wife, Deborah.

No comments:

Post a Comment