Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Glass/Mirror

You thought it was a mirror
You held to my face
That the visage I shrunk from
Was the reflection
Of the man you thought you knew
Someone you wanted me to be
Someone you hoped I was
Someone I may once have been
But the years have warped the glass
Into a funhouse monstrosity
A darkroom illuminated negative, surreal
And I know you think
The mirror is two-sided
That you cringe to look
At your own reflection there
You're not afraid to criticize
Because you've learned to cherish
Self-flagellation
Reveal
It's just a sheet of glass, thick and heavy
The shortcomings you've nurtured as your own
Described with such precision
To my armchair psychoanalyst's ear
Are naught but my own
If you could tell glass from mirror
Settle for silence
But so long as you are sure
It's your self you criticize
Your tongue will keep a-waggin'
Still
I made the glass. I know it for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment