Monday, December 19, 2005

Crazy Dog Audio Theatre

Even though I have Sonic Theater in the list of my "favorite" XM Satellite Radio channels (on the right side-bar of this very blog), the truth is that I have rarely listened to it in the year I've had the service. When I made that list I hadn't really had XM long enough to have decided on that many "favorite channels"...I included Sonic Theater on the strength of the concept alone, but in reality I have just not come around to it...
Until last night, when I happened to catch an incredibly surreal performance by the
CRAZY DOG AUDIO THEATRE. The production was called Press 3 and, as is the case with so many of the things that I find enjoyable, I find it uncommonly difficult to come up with words to describe it. "Disorienting" fits, but I don't know that most people would consider that a reccomending quality like I do. "Somewhat bizarre" is better, but that's too general a description. Let's just say that it's like spending time in an alternate universe that's equal parts comfortingly familiar and yet jarringly alien.
If you're old enough to remember the Firesign Theatre, you can reference that legendary performance art troupe and you won't be too far off from what Crazy Dog reminds me of.
Anyway,
their website is pretty cool, too, and you can buy CDs/MP3s of their stuff there. If I were a man of more wealth than what I have been entrusted with I guarantee you I would be piling up as much of this Crazy Dog merchandise into my shopping cart as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment