Monday, December 19, 2005

!

I had a wonderful time Saturday night/Sunday morning visiting with Jacob and Amanda from Basement Dynasty. They were interested in hearing some of my original songs after a performance I gave at the HiLo club was upstaged by the appearance of no less than 100 people dressed in Santa Claus outfits...
Yeah, that's right...apparently there is this group of people who go out and crash the local bars/clubs in full Saint Nick regalia. They descend upon one establishment and hang around for about 30 minutes spreading their unique brand of Christmas cheer, then they are marshalled together by a guy with a bullhorn (something quite unsettling about hearing a bullhorn in a place like the HiLo...) and they move on to the next establishment.
They just happened to hit the HiLo during my 5th song. What could I do? Who wants to listen to a guy playing guitar and singing his songs when everywhere you look there are white beards and cheery red and white costumes? So I made a quip about how several of the Santas were smoking and drinking (and probably making drug deals...ha...I think a couple of 'em resented that particular attempt at humour) and I sang an impromtpu version of "Here Comes Santa Claus" before cutting my set short and surrendering the attention to the North Pole swarm.
Afterwards, when I expressed some dissappointment in being upstaged in this manner, Jacob comforted me by pointing out that I had done something legendary, something that few people living in this day and age have ever or will ever be able to do: I had sung "Here Comes Santa Claus" to a whole room full of Santas.
Yes, I did! Ha!
So anyhoos after the show had ended I wound up playing background guitar music in the wee wee hours of the morning for Jacob, Amanda, Red, Stu, Big D, Capital and I think Warty might have even stayed up for some of it.
Before it was all over with I had Jacob playing guitar with me (this guy is one of the most talented musicians in Oklahoma, so I was thrilled to get the chance to jam with him, and I wasn't surprised at how good it sounded) and both he and Amanda had expressed an interest in the possibility of putting a band together to flesh out, record and perform these songs of mine that I've had lying around for ages.
I've got tons of songs and musical ideas just waiting to be arranged and polished. So the idea of getting together with accomplished players who are as versatile and talented as Jacob and Amanda are is very exciting. That they seemed to honestly enjoy my work was encouraging. I have not heard back from them since we first discussed the possibility, so there's always the chance that it could fall through, but I gotta tell ya, I hope it doesn't. I really want to try and do something with these songs and I hope they were both serious about putting this thing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment