Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"There Will Be Blood"

I had the opportunity, over the weekend, to see P. T. Anderson's fourth and most recent movie, "There Will Be Blood". I am a huge fan of Anderson. His "Magnolia" is in the top 5 of my favorite films of all time. I can't say, at this point, if "There Will Be Blood" is on the same level of greatness as that one is. I need to watch it again. But it is very, very good. Tedious at times, but that only serves to make the more bizarre scenes come off surreal. The one where Plainview (Day-Lewis) gets baptized is hilarious. Daniel Day-Lewis turns in a great performance, as is to be expected. But I was most impressed with Paul Dano, who I had never heard of until now. He played evangelist (false prophet) Eli Sunday in such an eccentric manner that it was riveting. Just a great movie, and I think I'll rent it again this afternoon.

Of course, that's a recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment