Friday, August 22, 2008

Big fun at the Garageband.com site. It's not steady enjoyment but sometimes it gets interesting. Like when people don't like the review you've made on their song. Most folks see the futility there is in messaging a reviewer to complain (whimper) about something you might have written about their track. But then there are others who have an exceeding amount of free time on their hands and feel it necessary to point out anything that doesn't positively glow in the discussion of their music.

With that and nothing more, I present, for your pleasure, the following exchange which took place this morning.




" Lots of headroom in the opening passages. A piano picks up on an absolutely beautiful melody. The two chord structure gets tedious, insomuch as there are no dynamics used whatsoever. The backing music is just that--music that serves little purpose other than to give the soloist a frame of reference, very little more. I think this song could have really stood out were it not for the utilitarian sense of the music itself (as opposed to the melodies, which are consistently good and the afore mentioned head space.

I did like it...I just thought it had more potential."

BMODE'S ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

"Excellent feedback thank u, your right on the money. Since I got into ambient music, I've been trying to "dumb down" my music as it's just ambience and ambience is usually hypnotic and repetitive. Your review makes me what to do some tracks over. It's tough to please everyone aint' it? Thanks for your time and solid feedback. Bmode"

BMODE'S FOLLOW-UP MESSAGE:

"Hold on now...I just listened to your project and I gotta say I'm seriously disappointed! When I read your review, I thought cool, here's someone who knows what there talking about, but hell no with those tracks. I'm sorry, but that project is not very good at all. At least my song had progression and melodies instead of loops and sample thrown together! My lord! Good luck, I mean that seriously. Bmode."

Ouch... What happened to the bit about "It's tough to please everyone aint' it?"

MY RESPONSE (and hopefully the end of the matter):

" I'm sorry that our opinions concerning your song clashed. It's not as if I ragged it mercilessly.

If you don't care for the Bambo Syndicate's work that's all fine and good. It's not made out of a desire to accomplish anything more than a smile on my face and the satisfaction that comes when a rare soul or two actually enjoy it. Their meant to be aural collages, ambient in the same manner as Brian Eno's original ambient records. I get a lot of inspiration from Aphex Twin's ambient material and I can't help but infuse the sonics with their quirky sense of "rhythm". Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle and Karlheinz Stockhausen, it's all channeled through the Bambo Syndicate's art. If you can't hear and appreciate that in the mucic, well I wouldn't expect you to like it.

I left you constructive criticism...just because you don't care for some songs I did doesn't give you the right to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I have been listening to and developing an appreciation for all genres of music for almost 40 years and have been active in the live music scene since 1980. My knowledge of a couple of styles is encyclopedic.

But I suppose there's no pleasing anyone who is as defensive as you apparently are. I mean, first you send me a message thanking me for a great review, then you come back on and basically contest that very same review simply because you didn't "get" my songs? You're disappointed??? What, you're disappointed that someone had a few nice things top say about your song? And if that's not enough you find a way to slag my songs in the bargain (I don't know if you read my reviews but appatently there ARE people who understand and enjoy Bambo).

I see you've done fairly well with "Find Yourself". Congratulations on it's success. I hope you'll forgive me for not caring much for it.

If it makes any difference, Harley Riggs just read this message and he said, "Fuckin' A, JAC old boy. Someone has finally read you like a book. Now where did you hide that hypodermic? Give it back! Give it back!!! Waaah! Waaah!".

jac

No comments:

Post a Comment