Saturday, November 19, 2005

Dylan Project


Bob Dylan The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

A few days ago I decided to get deeper into my Dylan collection by focusing on one album per week, listening to it at least once a day. I chose Another Side of Bob Dylan to begin the project, and I'm very much enjoying it, but last night I felt like hearing something else by him so I slapped this one on.
I don't know...I guess I'm finally at a point in my life where I can truly appreciate Dylan, because this album was spellbinding from start to finish (I think 'Corrina Corrina' is the only track that doesn't jibe with me, and it's not bad). Sure, I've heard this album before, but I think I knew back then that I wasn't 'ready' for it yet. I had this strong suspicion that it would be something I would have to come around to at a future point when my head was a little more together.
I guess I'm making progress, because sitting through this album last night was a pure pleasure.
'Masters of War'...the sound of righteous indignation. The vitriol Dylan projects is shocking, even frightening until you consider (and I mean truly contemplate) exactly what it is he's aiming this intense ball of hatred at. A line like 'Even Jesus would never forgive what you do' is severe on the surface, but it makes it's point pretty darned effectively.
There is some sweet guitar work going on in 'Oxford Town' that for some reason I just never latched onto in the past. I marvelled at it last night.
What a panaroma of imagination is 'A Hard Rains a-Gonna Fall'. Those last two lines are sublime...'I'll stand on the water until I start sinking' (an allusion to the apostle Peter who, when he saw Jesus walking on the water and heard Jesus bid him 'come' had the faith to actually stand on the water himself until fear of the storm distracted him from the One who beckoned and he sank) and 'I'll know my song well before I start singing" (read-between-the-lines and it's the same thing as the line in "The Times They Are a-Changin'":"Don't criticize what you can't understand"). Just sitting back and forming a mental picture of the descriptions he calls off is mind blowing. I am fearfully close to the point where I recognize and truly appreciate Dylan as the fountainhead...
If I had the time I could go on and on about this album.
It's no wonder the Beatles took such a shine to young Zimmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment