Sunday, November 20, 2005

Critic Jeffrey Overstreet: LOOKING CLOSER



Jeffrey Overstreet is one of the most thoughtful music reviewers I have read in a long time, and he has been doing a lot of work on the MUSIC page of his website, Looking Closer.
His writing comes with a deep Christian perspective, but this is not one of those websites that tries to tell you what you should or should not listen to "in order to be a good Christian". You know, the ones that insist upon strict adherence to a policy of extolling "sacred" music (even if the only thing that makes some of it "sacred" is a bit of divine Name-dropping) while preaching the evils of "secular" music (even when said "secular" music sounds more spiritual than any song on the Contemporary Christian Top 25 "Hit" List...case in point: Sigur Ros).
Anyhoo, Overstreet's review of R.E.M.'s Around The Sun is SCATHING (and, no doubt, right on...no, I don't have the album; I listened to the majority of it at a Borders listening station and thought it was awful, so I didn't waste my money on it then...Overstreet confirms my low opinion and it's good to know that I didn't dismiss it at the time as a result of a low tolerance for Stipe, which I'd been developing for the last few years, or because I was just maybe in a foul mood the day I heard it).
Worth checking out for that alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment