Thursday, November 1, 2012

dream journal: truckers en masse & unlucky pilots

Two nights in a row now that I've had vivid dreams (see post below). This one wasn't quite as uplifting, to be sure, but quite spectacular in it's own morbid way.

Not a whole lot to it, really, though quite powerful. First I noticed that there more 18 wheeler semi trucks driving through town. Many more than usual. Broadway and Main Street in the town where I live are the intersections of two important state highways so we do get quite a few big trucks hauling their goods across these roads. Some are on the way to the Interstate seven miles away. Others may be trying to avoid the Interstate for whatever reason. In this dream there were at least twice as many coming through town than was normal.

Next thing I found myself at the car wash. I wasn't washing the car or doing anything that might need to be done at a car wash. I think I was talking to someone on the phone. The signal was becoming very sketchy. I heard the announcer on the radio saying something about how there would be a lot of jet airplanes in the sky today so I figured the airplanes had something to do with it (why, I don't know. It was a dream, right?). Sure enough I see a plane flying over to the east.

Then I heard one of them flying particularly close, heading toward me. From a very high altitude and at full speed the plane's nose turns to the ground. It only took a few seconds before I saw the explosion. Incredibly violent. It had been flying so fast that it was basically consumed in the fire the second it hit the ground. The crash couldn't have been much more than a hundred yards from me, but there was no shrapnel.

I turned away and tried to call 911...or maybe I called my wife first and then tried to call 911, I don't remember. Before I could get off the phone there was another brilliant explosion to the north, near a cafe on the side of Broadway.

A period of time passed until I became keenly aware than no fire trucks or ambulances had been dispatched to the scene. Not even the sound of a police siren. I walked toward the scene of the second crash and there was smoke bellowing out but it didn't look nearly as wrecked as I thought it would.

I got back in my car and headed home on a back road I often use as a short cut. I almost never see any other cars on this mile long stretch of what used to be part of the highway a long, long time ago. But in the dream there was a solid line of 18 wheelers all headed in one direction (south). They weren't crawling slowly as if they were in a line at a parade. They were really tooling along.

It was at this point that I woke up. Thinking about it now I can see that it was an unusual, rare dream. I've had many dreams over the course of my life about planes crashing. Usually they are smaller passenger planes or huge commercial airliners. I'm sure I've dreamed of jets, too, but apparently they were not remarkable enough to have been retained in my memory. Yet that's not what made it rare.

Every time I've ever dreamed of airplane disasters I've woken up immediately after the crash. These are the kind of dreams I feel kind of shaken by upon waking. Yet in this one I stay in the dream after the first crash...I even stay in the dream after the second crash all the way up to getting past the back road convoy. I'm not sure at all what that means, if it signifies anything. I read some interpretations earlier this morning and the most logical was the one that postulated the jets as goals and ambitions, things I want or need to do before I leave the planet. The crashing of the planes symbolizes fear of those hopes and dreams being left unrealized and undone. It's supposed to be a warning that I should get my shit together and carpe deum.

All of which may well be true but I really think it's more complicated in my case. So much so that I fear I'm full of crap. Even if I'm not full of crap it would take a long, long time for me to explore the labyrinth of my psyche hoping for significance in a dream. The things I'd find would probably not be stuff I'd want to relate here so it's probably best for myself and everyone else if I simply leave it at that...

...an awesome, action packed dream with just enough David Lynchian weirdness to set it apart from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment