Saturday, May 31, 2008

Tired of making conventional music, I have been creating Stockhausen soundscapes on the Acid program. Most of it utilyzes "found sound" and tonal manipulation. It's definitely what I would consider "ambient music".

One "song" is called "The Weather Music". The primary instruments on this one are a 2 liter soda bottle with some water in it and a bicycle bell. There's also a home-made loop I made by tuning a guitar string down and then back up. I duplicated the track, added some delay to one of 'em, reversed another, and positioned them to where they would sound nice and trippy bouncing from the left to the right channel. Not exactly minimalistic, but certainly nothing elaborate. Effective, though.

Not quite as "unconventional", but unique, are a couple of other songs I'm working on, which are musically loop-based. I'm chopping up sound bytes from a fire-and-brimstone church sermon and pasting them into an electronica styled piece (I was actually a little surprised, when I first listened to it, that it bore an uncanny resemblance to early-period Autechre).

I don't think I'll be able to upload them to Soundclick or MySpace...in fact, I KNOW I won't, because they far exceed the amount of time either of those sites allow. If anyone out there wants to hear them, send me an e-mail at jackory69@yahoo.com, and I'll get it to you via YouSendIt.

Won't that be cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment