Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Morning Sitar

Purchase 'The Sounds of India' from Amazon.com
Ravi Shankar The Sound of India

Ever since the first time I heard George Harrison's "Within You Without You" from the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band I have been fascinated with the sound of the sitar, tabla & tambura. There's something strange and exotic about the drone that most (all?) classical Indian music revolves around, and it sounds pleasant to me even when I've long since lost the time signature and any hint of structure in these pieces.
Ravi Shankar has long been the acknowledged master of the sitar, with his daughter Anoushka poised to carry on the legacy. I have about 8 or 9 Ravi Shankar discs in my collection (along with two by Anoushka), but this morning I'm listening to The Sounds of India.

No comments:

Post a Comment