Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Miracle Legion: Drenched

Purchase 'Drenched' from Amazon.com
Miracle Legion Drenched

I'm one of those guys who adores practically everything REM released during their tenure with IRS records. Then they signed with Warner Brothers and I noticed a steady decline, if not in objective quality, then in what it was I enjoyed about their music. Instead of putting out solid albums with 10-12 really good songs, they started releasing albums that had maybe 2 or 3 excellent songs and the rest being what I'd consider substandard fare. Eventually I stopped buying their albums...I think the point of no return was the hideous Reveal,...I didn't even bother checking out their last offering.
But hey, I still love that 1981-1987 period and always will.
And I also love bands that worked that early-REM jangle pop sound with success: The Connells, Let's Active, Game Theory are a few. Even Counting Crows first couple of albums wore that influence pretty strong.
One of my favourites in this category is MIRACLE LEGION. I am currently listening to Drenched. It is a marvelous album that kicks REM's ass all over the place (and you can even understand most of the lyrics). Too many good songs to pick from the lot, though I gotta say that "Snacks and Candy" is the sing-along highlight.
I noticed that Amazon.com has used copies of this CD for like 45 cents, and I would be derelict in my duty were I to not exhort each and every one of you to jump on that bargain like it was a glass of ice water at a chili eating contest.
One day some enterprising record label will buy the rights to release Miracle Legion's Surprise Surprise Surprise on CD, and one can only hope that when this is accomplished the days of Miracle Legion as an obscure cult sensation will come to a grinding halt.
From AMG: "Miracle Legion were a Connecticut-based band that immediately sprung to life on the heels of post-R.E.M. guitar-rock boom, chiefly because lead singer Mark Mulcahy's voice bore an uncanny resemblance to Michael Stipe's..."
I beg to differ...Mulcahy's voice is much more distinctive, much more powerfully expressive than Stipe's. Just because they both sing through their noses doesn't make 'em sound alike. I mean, ya never hear anyone comparing Stipe with Tom Petty, do ya? And Petty's the NASAL VOCAL king.
Admittedly Stipe's voice has weakened significantly through the years he has been fronting REM. There was a time when it commanded serious respect ("Kahoutek", "Life and How To Live It", "Shaking Through", "Sitting Still", "Seven Chinese Brothers"). But Mulcahy uses his to greater effect more consistantly than even early-period Stipe ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment