Monday, September 1, 2014

originally to be posted on facebook

I was tagged to post 20 "little known things" about myself on facebook  and I wrote up ten but now that I read them back I've had second thoughts about posting them in that forum. So I'll dump 'em here.

1. As a young child I would compose rock songs in my head while riding my bike up and down the street in front of our house. I'd average four or five a day and though I've forgotten them all I have a feeling there were at least a couple of hits in the bunch.
2. Despite being one of the tallest in my school's P.E. class I was almost inevitably chosen close to last for basketball teams. I simply could not dribble and that was only one of my handicaps on the court. I found it very demeaning.
3. I once responsible for the football team losing a game. Let's just say I had no business being suited up on the sidelines, let alone on the field. It was an 'away' game and that bus ride home was a discouraging, humbling experience.
4. I wore white face make-up and a casual suit to a Talking Heads concert at the OKC Zoo amphitheater. Stood out like a real freak but it was a blast. The guitarist in one of my bands was at that show and says he saw me there, this being years before we met.
5. I once had occasion to congregate with the homeless on the porch of the Jesus House Rescue Mission. Conversational banter was interesting but what I'll always remember is the huge rat that walked right past us with a large dinner roll hanging out of him mouth by the teeth.
6. I always liked the Rolling Stones better than the Beatles when I was a kid but they both kind of got pushed to the side when I discovered Alice Cooper and Genesis.
7. The last year I went to Falls Creek Baptist camp I invited my girlfriend and we paid attention to practically nothing else but each other. We were almost caught, in a secluded spot on the trail leading to the Devil's Bathtub, engaging in an act that would have surely seen us immediately sent home for our respective parents to discipline.
8. Though I was definitely not a fan of KISS I nevertheless played some of their songs in the first band I was ever a member of (The Delinquents, 1979). I did this because they were so easy and because they were basically all our guitar player had learned how to play by then.
9. My favorite part of the week when I was a kid was Friday and Saturday night staying up watching "ABC In Concert", "The Midnight Special" and "Don Kieshner's Rock Concert". Later I would add "The Uncanny Film Festival (and Camp Meeting", "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and the first few subversive seasons of "Saturday Night Live".
10. When I saw U2 in 1983 I conspired a likely illegal way of obtaining front row seats. I was so close that at one point Bono reached down his hand and i grabbed it. I was dangling a crucifix my mother had recently given me in my fingers, holding it up for him to see and to this day I don't know why. I would almost bet he remembers. You don't see that kind of thing often, I'm sure it stood out in a bizarre, unforgettable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment