Thursday, May 16, 2013

I must have given her that Grateful Dead t-shirt...

I must have given her that Grateful Dead t-shirt
Too tight now for my thickening chest
It hung like a sheet from her bony shoulders
Draped to cover her tiny breasts
The sickening smell of cheap menthol cigarettes
Would have pushed me far away yesterday
I was thinking I might have to get used to it
She wouldn't kick that for the world

I must have had a thing for pixies
Or bruised fairy tale princesses
With glass slippers smashed into a thousand shards
I stepped on every last one to pretend
I was the saving prince, the forgiving hero
She never asked for
She never needed
She never wanted
She'd leave that guy waiting on the phone

Tiny, fragile dreamer
Dancing at the ward ball
I'd seen her a few times before
Acting like a whore with a joint in her sock
She made me sick
A strange sickness that drew me to her
A saccharine smile hid the selfish harlot's heart
It didn't fool me for a minute but I didn't care
No worse than anybody else in that packed house
I'm the one who asked her to dance

With her barbie doll's head on my shoulder
And our eyes closed tight
The slow rhythm gave us permission to take our time
I knew what I was doing when I requested the song
I knew what Springsteen meant when he sang
"Heart and soul...heart and soul...heart and soul...heart and soul..."
Only to find out in the end
She had neither
But it was easy to pretend with the other lost people dreaming with us

She don't have that damn shirt no more
And I don't have to know that for a fact
To know it's the damned truth
She don't have nothing from me
Not even them memories
I hoped to get into her
Stinking damn teeth
Skinny fucking trash
Alien face, big teeth
You thought I didn't have a heart, either
Or a soul but you were wrong
It wasn't for you to take along
To whatever hell you went to
When you left me on some universal corner
Standing by the phone
You dead wench
I won't listen to that song anymore
Get out of my mind
No one else hears you
And most of the time I don't listen anyway
I never cared about you
You didn't give me a chance to

No comments:

Post a Comment