Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My computer was shipped back to me with a broken screen. Fuckers. Fortunately, as it turns out I will be able to get a new one this evening (assuming I find the right model at the right price with the features I need).

Though I am excited about getting the new laptop it's still a bitch because I lost some stuff I really wanted to keep. Not much, but you know...I put a lot of work and  effort into cataloging my CD collection into a database...history. I had a slew of Jonsi concert zip files and they're gone, baby gone. Stuff I'd collected to use in my Acid Studio projects...several files I'd ripped from old cassette tapes of bands I used to play in and even a few recordings of my son playing when he was, like, three years old. Luckily I still have the original tapes so it will only be the hassle of doing it all again that makes me angry. Also very lucky that I still have the CD-R software disc for the Acid Studio. It will be the first program I install on the new machine (right after the AVG). However I WILL be losing everything I started on but didn't get a chance to finish as well as the loops, one shots, sound bytes and raw material I've been collecting over the past two and a half years. I'll have to make my Internet "favorites" list all over again...it was stocked pretty full, especially with mp3 music blogs. I'll be able to retrieve some of them that are subscribed to in my reader, and a lot of them were exported to a Delicious account, so I'm hoping the loss on that front won't be too bad.

Oh well...I guess I was ready for a fresh start. At least I'll have a working DVD drive and won't have to use a USB headphone jack. It will probably take a little time to get used to Windows 7 but I don't foresee that being a huge issue. There were 2 or 3 things I didn't like about my VAIO, things that, had I known about them, would have influenced my decision of whether to purchase it or not. It will work out okay, I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment