Monday, March 20, 2006

"I fancied meself Walt Whitman..."

I fancied meself Walt Whitman
I fancied meself a better man than e'er I was
I fantasized a nature to be a part of
The rails led straight out of this town
I'd ride 'em like Guthrie
If I had a fascist killin' machine like his
And a calloused thumb to strum for hours
Knockin' 'em down
Watchin' 'em fall
Fascists dropp-opp-oppin' like flies

I fancied meself a theologian
I fancied meself a priest of the Aaronic order
I fantasized a heaven to be part of
A stairway straight outta this world
I'd climb until I was tired then I'd climb some more
If I had a leg to stand on
Watch Him knock me back down
Watch Him watch me fall
The center of His attention

I fancied meself a friend to one in need
I fancied meself a martyr to good deeds
I fantasized a bonus could be had
A cash cow that I could bow to
With numbers and dollar signs in my eyes
Cruel reality replacing me fancy
Grovel. Crawl.
Depraved, all.
Buried in sand, forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment