Sunday, October 10, 2004

Last night's show at the Hi-Lo was fun, but for various reasons it will probably not be remembered as one of our better performances. It would not be proper for me to go into the reasons this was so, but suffice to say that we are undaunted and are looking forward to the next gig, which will be on the 28th at LiT in Bricktown.

I have to say, though, that the Hi-Lo was packed, and the atmosphere was just right for rockin'. This was the first time I'd ever been inside the Hi-Lo, though I have been appraised of it's status as "the place to be" by several within our circle of friends and acquaintances. Indeed, there was a good crowd there...if you aren't claustrophobic you ought to drop by sometime...who knows, maybe there will even be another Mad Laugh/Fellowship Students double bill again someday soon.

And speaking of the Fellowship Students...this was the second time I've seen them perform live, and I just have to say that the Oklahoma Gazette made the right decision in naming them the "best new band in OKC". They were tight as clockwork, their songs were great and they had enough stage presence and charisma to power two or three projects on the side, if they wanted...

Their original material is awesome enough, but they surprised me last night with a note-perfect version of the Queen/David Bowie chestnut "Under Pressure" that was simply amazing. They have each and every nuance of that song down and the climactic end section had the entire audience singing along with fists raised in the air.

I cannot stress how impressed I am with these guys. They have everything it takes to make it big on their own terms, and I hope they are eventually recognized by the national music media as a potential "next big thing". That they are, in my humble yet trustworthy opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment